Pledges for home
- Consume less electricity by using natural light at home whenever possible.
- Foster a green spirit at home by involving your whole family in environmental efforts such as sorting recyclable waste or growing a home garden.
- Help save electricity around the home and workplace by putting up stickers or posters to remind people to turn off the lights when they’re not in use.
- Plan your weekly meals before going grocery shopping, so you only buy what you need.
- Minimize the use of air-conditioning.
- Opt for fan or natural ventilation.
- Take shorter showers
- Increase the air-con temperature to 1°C higher.
- Use a lesser flow of water for washing
- Set air-con to at least 25°C
Pledges for office / school
- Bring your own mug/ water bottle to work or school
- Do not print unnecessarily - read documents and emails on your computer or tablet whenever possible to save paper.
- Keep a "reusable takeaway kit" at your desk at work to minimize your use of disposable plastic. It can contain a fork, knife, spoon, chopsticks, mug and lunchbox.
- Leave your car at home one day a week, and take public transport - the greener option - to work instead!
Pledges for daily habits
- Eat vegetarian food for one day a week – it has a lower carbon footprint than a meat-based diet.
- Join an environmental interest group - in person or online - and get involved in their efforts to promote a more sustainable way of life.
- Opt for electronic statements instead of paper bills
- Quantify and measure the impact of your eco action after you have pledged it - how much energy did you save?
- Reduce food waste. Order only as much food as you can finish.
- Use fewer plastic bags. Do your grocery shopping with eco-bags
- Volunteer with an environmental organisation of your choice - you'll meet like minded environmental enthusiasts, and also gain the satisfaction of making a hands-on contribution to the cause.
- Explore your own creativity to reuse and recycle household items you no longer need.